Friday, August 3, 2012

Relaxing after 4 months

My new regimen for this year includes stretching my relaxer for 4 months/ 16 weeks so I relax my hair only 3 times in a year. I like to let my hair breathe every now and then but braids (not weaves which i abhor) have been the best way to stretch the relaxer without me obsessing over my new growth. I don't hate new growth but I can't get my hands out of my hair detangling the coils with my fingers and you can imagine how ridiculous I look- like I'm picking out lice.

Its important to moisturise this new growth to minimize breakage at the demarcation point where previously relaxed hair meets natural/new growth. I devote a little extra time to part my hair in about 12 sections and moisturising the new growth and sealing with coconut oil while massage my scalp a bit with Castor. I promise its not that difficult or time consuming. I do this while watching Gossip Girl or Real Housewives.

Anyway,

I successfully stretched for 17weeks and I liked it so I got a touch up in it... o o oh!!!. The Olive Oil ORS relaxer kit did not have a lotion to protect previously relaxed hair from relaxer (running through during rinsing which can damage the hair) so I mixed coconut and shea butter and applied to the lenght of the hair. I put Castor oil on my scalp 2 days before to minimize burning.

Clockwise:Relaxer, deep conditioner concontion, vatika coconut oil, GT nuetralizing shampoo, GT leave in, shea butter, castor oil in applicator bottle, and SheaMoisture serum
The shampoo in the ORS relaxer kit is NEVER enough to clean the hair so chemicals remain in ones hair and continues to work its evil. Have you seen how brown some people's hair has become due to relaxing not dyeing? So I bought my neutralizing shampoo to wash at least 2 more times. I will continue washing with neutralizing shampoo for 2 weeks after to ensure there's none of that crap lurking around.

The conditioner in the kit is also too little for my big head/hair so I mixed it with coconut oil and Mane and Tail replenishing conditioner to balance out the protein.
Finally, the stylist trimmed my ends, moisturised and blow dried. Done.. until another 4 months.

*pictures to come

Ladi

2 comments:

  1. Hi, you mentioned you do braids 9 out of 12 months. I love braids alot but my friends discourage me saying the winter will make my hair break but its seems that's not the case with you, can you please advise me on how you moisturize and keep your braids clean and your hair from damage? I would really appreciate your reply!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every week, I use a liquid leave-in conditioner (Infusium) so the product goes in through the thick braids to my hair. I moisturize and seal as usual (sheabutter).

      I just got braids and will stop shampooing often but use a dry shampoo and co-wash to keep it clean and not itchy instead.

      Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete