Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hair Regimen terms

Since I adopted these, my hair improved A LOT. Oya, here's the lingo:


Pre-poo (pre-shampoo): Which is what I apply to my hair before shampooing inorder to infuse moisture that might be lost from washing. I use saturate the hair with coconut oil, olive oil or/and a cheap conditioner and leave it overnight or at least some hours before washing my hair.


Co-wash: This is washing the hair with conditioner rather than shampoo. I use basic cheap conditioner for this. Sauve, Herbal Essences, Dove are all good for this.

Leave-in: Duh, A lotion or liquid you apply to hair after rinsing out the conditioner. DO NOT rinse like the name suggests, leave it in. This makes my hair soooo soft and makes detangling easy.


Sealing: This is locking in moisture by applying a natural oil over moisturized strands. I use coconut or/and castor oils to seal. castor oil is a humectant and absorbs moisture from the air into your hair especially in the summer (or so I heard).


Stretching: This is prolonging the time from one relaxer to another. Stretching hair is when you hair is 'due' (like Nigerians say) but you refuse to relax just yet. Its important to keep the new growth moisturised because new natural curly growth and the relaxed lenght are sworn enemies and hair break at that point if not properly moisturized. I stretch for up to 2-3months depending on the undergrowth or till I cannot comb it anymore. The fewer relaxers per year, the better abi?


Dusting: Is DIY trimming that involves trimming less than an inch of the dry ends of hair to prevent spilt ends. It does not dramitically affect the lenght of one's hair. I usually do this when I'm bored with a pair of barbers scissors. DO NOT use paper scissors only scissors made for hair.


Here is a GREAT guide for the major Hair lingo you'll find in most hair blogs: http://www.hairliciousinc.com/2008/08/faq-popular-hair-lingo.html

2 comments:

  1. so how is hair actually clean if u dont use shampoo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use shampoo every week to wash my hair o! This is not my regimen just the new stuff I've adopted into my regimen.

    I used to only shampoo my hair, dry and go.

    ReplyDelete