Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My products list: Mostly cheap and affordable stuff

shampoo: Creme of nature organic moisturising shampoo (will switch to maybe Carol's daughter once the bottle finishes cuz this has sulphate in it)

conditioners
Herbal Essences Long term relationship which is awesome for co-washes (I'm looking to switch to back to pricier Giovanni Smooth as Silk which smells fruity, grapey, and has very light protein which is good for my weak hair)

Aphogee 2-step- I use this a week after relaxing and then every six weeks. This is super heavy protein and should not be used often if not, your hair will harden and break. Plus is smells eggy and application is messy. Google it!


deep conditioner: 
Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayo (light to medium protein based)- I always add at least 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and one of olive oil to it for extra oomph. I leave this in for at least one or two hours in a heating cap (not under a steamer or dryer because I don't have the money or space for one). I usually deep condition after a shampoo-wash.

Neutogena triple moisture (moisture-based)- I also add coconut oil to this. It already contains almond and olive oil so I add jara oyel to it. Love this!


home-made deep conditioner- I've only done this once but I blend avocado, mayonnaise, olive oil, and honey together. Its natural and of course its good for you. Honey is a humectant and attracts moisture into your hair.

It is important to alternate between moisturizing and protein based deep conditioners because hair needs both.

leave-in conditioner: 
Garnier fructis (I only got cuz it was the only cheap one available in walmart) but will switch back to Sexy Hair Organics (which used to make my hair very soft and easy to detangle until it finished and I could not find it anywhere near my village univ). Garnier is way too thick so I end up using too much and then it dries and flakes like dandruff. So less is more with this product but I'm switching regardless.

moisturiser: 
Wave Nouveau Finishing Lotion (chei, it makes my hair soft eh). Must buy a year's supply before moving back to Nigeria. It is amazing. A friend suggested keracare so will try that soon.


oil-based moisturizer: 
Mega Growth/ Strength of Nature's Provectiv Lotion (yellow bottle with the weave wearing model). Its a whole bunch of awesome natural oils and has a nice scent/smell. Pretty much a better version of the famous 'pink oil' that is packed with mineral oil that is not great for your hair. This gives moisture, shine and heat protection.

oils:
Extra virgin coconut (Nutiva), Jamaican black castor, and normal cold pressed castor oils, and extra virgin olive oil. I'm not a product junkie so will no invest in too many oils. 3 is enough. Will try shea butter when I'm in Nigeria though.

heat protectant: CHI 44 Iron Guard

relaxer: Motions (the new one) it has nice 'extras' in the kit. But in the past, I used Soft Sheen Carson's Anti-breakage relaxer (the red box one).




Creme of Nature, Herbal Essences, ORS Hair Mayo, and Aphogee step1


Aphogee step2, Garnier, Wave Nouveau, and Profectiv Lotion

I got all of these from Walmart, Sally's Beauty Supply and Amazon (coconut and castor oil). They are all affordable and have been working wonders on my hair so far.



This list will probably change as I run out of one bottle, I'd look for a better product or a more expensive one (as the paycheck comes in).


But once I am back Nigeria and there's no Sally's, Walmart, or convenient Internet shopping, I'd have to find local replacements or just 'import.'


Wish list (based on reviews from West African Hair carriers):
CHI Silk Infusion-expensive$$$*
KERACARE Conditioning Hairdress- medium$$
GIOVANNI Smooth as Silk Conditioner- medium$$
ROUX Porosity Shampoo-cheap$
CAROL'S DAUGHTER shampoo and hair milk- expensive$$$

*based on my intern salary

3 comments:

  1. You're right, silk infusions are so expensive. But I like the products you listed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got CHI silk infusion from TjMaxx for half the store price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please comment on the how frequently to use these products or how to combine them? - Tyra

    ReplyDelete