Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Weekend hair regimen

This is my typical Saturday night/ Sunday morning regimen. You'd find a similar regimen on every other hair blog but this I modified to fit my laziness level.


1. pre-poo with coconut oil and cover with plastic or heating cap and then towel (will steam in the future) and run errands: vacuuming/ sweeping, laundry and cooking or just go to sleep, the longer the better. Coconut oil, like olive and avocado get easily absorbed into hair shaft more than other natural oils. Sometimes I do a hot oil treatment inplace of pre-poos.


2. shampoo wash  (I co-wash midweek to add moisture), 


3. deep condition under heating cap for an hour and workout or watch tv to kill time (I don't have a hood dryer or steamer here...they're too bulky, but I will deep condition in a salon when I get to Nigeria), 


4. apply leave-in conditioner and detangle with wide tooth comb. 


5. air dry (usually overnight if staying in or blow dry and style), flat iron if necessary (with heat protectant). 


6. moisturize hair strands (and do so every day or two), focusing on the dryer and older ends


7. lightly apply castor oil on scalp, and seal ends with little coconut oil.


8. Pony tail or bun (not with a rubber band which can cause breakage and reduce length)


9. wrap under a satin or silk scarf or bonnet or use a silk pillow to sleep. The friction with cotton drys out hair and causes breakage by absorbing moisture from the hair. I used to wake up with my hair all over my pillow instead of my head.

This is very different from my old regimen which consisted of washing with sulphate-filled shampoo, maybe cheap conditioning for 5mins, blow drying without heat protectant, and applying hair grease or pink oil (mineral oils and petrolatum are evil, take note!). BAD BAD BAD!!!!

This what what most naija hairdressers do esp in N200 salons (yea, now you know who messed up your hair), so educate yourself. Cheap comes with an expensive price tag.

I relaxed my hair last weekend so this weekend, I conditioned with Aphogee two-step which is protein packed and helps to strenghten the hair after weakening by the creamy crack.


I air dried on while watching tv, and styled on Monday morning with no heat (reducing my flat ironing to twice a month instead of every week).

On tuesday night, my scalp was so dry and dandruffy so I washed my haired with shampoo again and deep conditioned with ORS Hair Mayo mixed with castor and coconut oil, left under a heating cap ($3 foil looking shower cap at Sallys, nothing fancy) and covered with my towel. I rinsed two hours later and did the usual. Its now in a bun.

Payday is here so will shop over the weekend for a few more hair products to experiment with.

No comments:

Post a Comment